Monday, June 11, 2012

Hard Work = First Crappie

My first crappie caught at Calero Reservoir
:)
Yesterday was another episode of epic fishing in the Bay Area. When I woke up in the morning my dad was pushing me to go to Calero Reservoir, and fish in a float tube. After a half-hour drive, we arrived. Unfortunately, I realized that the lake had fifteen mile-per-hour gusts blowing across it. Water skiers blazed on top of the water's surface, leaving rough waves in their wake. In a float tube this can mean a tough session on the lake. However, my dad and I were undeterred. We strapped on our life jackets, and eased ourselves into the lake. On the end of my pole I had a 1/8 ounce jig head, paired with a Berkley GULP Magic Goby. I was bouncing my lure along the bottom of the lake. My dad was using a wacky rigged senko and was fishing it beneath the waters surface.

The beginning of the expedition was strenuous. I braved waves and strong gusts of wind, but it still took me an hour to get to the other side of the lake. So far I had not gotten any bites. However on the way back the wind drifted my float tube towards shore. This meant I could focus on fishing. Then I began to feel taps. It was similar to a bass's bites, but lighter. Setting the hook, I began to reel in my prize. When the fish got to the surface, I was surprised to see my first crappie! The day went on with more bites, but no more fish were landed. My dad and I talked to a few more fisherman, but found that others had come up with similar results to ours.

The conclusion, fishing in general had been slow, but people putting in their time had been catching. The sport is called fishing, not catching. If I had never gotten off the couch at home, or gotten out of bed early I would never have gotten my first crappie. Even at the lake, I kicked with all  my energy to propel myself into the wind. Good things usually don't come to you easily. If it was easy, somebody else would be doing it for less effort. You have to try.


View Larger Map
Location: Calero Reservoir, California, USA

0 comments:

Post a Comment