Monday, June 18, 2012

Awesome Trout Fishing At Yosemite

Summer has brought some great things to me. One of those is my grandparents and aunt. They are visiting from Hawaii for the first time in three years. My parents have been planning activities, and one of those plans was to go to Yosemite. We drove for five hours to get to the park, through winding roads, and sweltering sun. Finally we arrived at the park, and proceeded to view the spectacular waterfalls and the looming, ominous cliffs. Unfortunately, I ate too much food at the Camp Curry buffet, and felt very ill. My dad and aunt went to take pictures of the sunset, while I tried to overcome my nausea. Then my dad called me on my cell phone. Trout were blowing up the surface of the Merced river less than half a mile away from the tent. It was time to shake off my nausea and catch fish.
A thirteen-inch brown trout caught at Merced River (# 3)

We neared the Merced River around 7:45 P.M. I had already rigged up my pole with a silver and blue Kastmaster attached to four-pound test. From forty feet away, I could already see the trout breaching the surface, eating insects. They were all near the middle of the river, inside a current that flowed in a circular motion, bringing the food to them. I cast in my line and hooked a nice fish on my first cast. When I brought it in, I had a nice fourteen inch wild rainbow trout. That may not sound like much, but a fish that big in the wild is massive. There is little food, so wild trout grow very slowly. After the rainbow, I proceeded to catch two more trout. One was a thirteen-inch brown trout, with a small kype.  Then I handed my pole to my father, because his pole remained unproductive. As the time neared 8:30, and the light began to dim my dad hooked into a massive fish. After five tense minutes, I netted an eighteen-inch rainbow trout. The biggest wild trout I have ever heard of being caught in Yosemite for years. As the sun disappeared we walked back with smiles on our faces. 

The first rainbow trout of the day 
This massive trout hit a Kastmaster, 
What I drew from this experience was the randomness of this fishing expedition. My family had not gone to Yosemite to fish. We had gone there to look at scenery, and observe the wildlife. Instead, we ended up with the biggest wild trout of our lives. Had my dad not seen the trout in the river, we would never have had this experience. Usually organized planning results in more consistent success. This means that you should plan your events. However, sometimes you find  yourself in a situation that you never would have expected. At those times, you need to get over your shock and seize the opportunity. The best things happen when you least expect it.





Location: Yosemite National Park, Northside Dr, Yosemite National Park, CA 95389, USA

0 comments:

Post a Comment