Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Fishing: Preparation for Life

I really put my time during the last trip. My reward was this nice bass
at Lake Boronda. 
In my earlier post, you will see that I fished at Calero earlier this morning. But as evening approached I got the Boronda bass itch, the unstoppable urge to fish at Lake Boronda for a chance at a bass. So I put down my Xbox controller and my TV remote, and rode down to the lake. The drive along winding Foothill Road built up the suspense within me.

As soon as we got to the lake I jumped out. I already held my weapon of choice in my hand, a four-inch Rage Craw, pinned on a shaky 1/8 ounce jig head. The evening temperature was a balmy 76 degrees, and the lake was placid. I began my routine lap of the lake, but after one and a half hours my hope was flickering. A friend of mine (not CC) caught a frog, but that was about it. Just as we were about to leave, I pitched in my Rage Craw, and dragged it along the bottom of the lake. A nice fish picked it up. An exhilarating fight commenced, and I netted a hefty bass. Soon after my catch, CC caught a decent bass and a massive sunfish using a KVD crank bait. Though the action was still quite slow, the fish were warming up. Soon, I expected violent surface action from big bass.
A friend of mine caught this bullfrog while buzzing a soft-plastic on top of the water

Fishing is often rewarding when you catch fish, but there are times when you don't. I have talked to the adults and they say that fishing is "preparation for life." If someone only cares about catching fish, they don't really understand what fishing is about.  In fishing the exciting part is perfecting your bait's action, and thinking about the bass's movements and patterns. The actual fish is just a reward. I don't completely agree with this idea, but fishing is something to enjoy. It helps me get away from the Xbox, and enjoy the outdoors. If you only live for the fight of the fish, you will miss the opportunity to enjoy many moments in your life.


3 comments:

  1. I fish there a lot, nice lake. But cannot figure out the best place to fish. Where did you catch that bass? ( where on the lake) Anyway, NICE BASS

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's a great catch! i've been starting to get in to bass fishing and tried out lake boronda, but it was nearly full completely with weeds when I went last week. is it too late in the season to catch bass there? if not, what sort of bait would you use with so much weed? i tried a floating frog and a texas rigged berkeley sinking minnow. i'm so much more used to trout fishing that I never know if i'm doing it right or wrong with bass.. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for presenting your points and providing this information. I have learned something about this topic. tips bass fishing

    ReplyDelete