Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Rockfish at Santa Cruz

A couple of weeks ago, my grandfather and I decided to go on a rockfish fishing trip. While this would be a first time experience for my grandfather, I had gone on a couple boats before. Usually I would convince a friend to take me to the Farallon Islands. There the rockfish swarm in thick schools, where even the most novice angler can make a catch. However, this time my family thought that we would try to fish closer to the house. This prompted us to make reservations with Stagnaro. They own a boat called the Velocity, a sixty-foot fishing boat that operates out of Santa Cruz. At six in the morning the boat left the harbor with fifty fishermen eager to catch fish.

My limit of rockfish at the Farallon islands
The first leg of the voyage consisted of demonstrations and proper rigging etiquette while we journeyed out to the fishing grounds. When we arrived the air was chilly, the wind is strong, and the morale is high. However as my grandfather and I fished throughout the day, it became apparent to me that Santa Cruz and the Farallon Islands were different. One difference was that in Santa Cruz the ocean is shallow, while around the islands the ocean is deep. Unfortunately, the big difference is that the fishing is much worse in Santa Cruz. When I fished in the Farallon Islands I couldn't keep the jumbo fish off the hook. In Santa Cruz I struggled to catch a single fish as my grandfather pulls in two rockfish. However as the day wore on I get an
idea for where the rockfish are holding, and my catch rate improved. We ended the half day trip with a combined total of fifteen rockfish, eight for me and seven for my grandfather.

The grand total (my grandfather and I) of rockfish in Santa Cruz
What I got from this expedition is that no two experiences are the same. Fishing is filled with failure and only a few pockets of success. Your times will be unique as each trip continues to surprise you. The days can be filled with success but eventually there will be a time when you fail, sometimes losing it all. Never fall into a pattern and expect the same thing each time. Be flexible so that you don't dwell on what you have lost, but minimize your loses. If you experience times of failure do not be stunned when good things come your way. Seize the opportunity and use it.


A man and his pelican
Location: Santa Cruz, CA, USA

0 comments:

Post a Comment